Sustainability Communications Specialist
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Supervised by: Marketing Director
This is a full-time, fast-paced, professional position within the Marketing Department that is responsible for the development, implementation, and effective marketing of Mountain Rose Herbs Sustainability Program including sustainability reporting, certifications, social and environmental projects, volunteer program, and the employee-staffed Green Team. This position is responsible for the continued growth and success of the MRH Sustainability Program and represents the face of the company to customers and suppliers within the industry. A formal education in marketing or communications is required along with a fervent love of all things sustainable and an emphasis on keeping the MRH Sustainability program relevant and engaging.
The wage for this position starts at $25.00/ hr. DOE
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Minimum of BA degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or related field.
- Perform quick and accurate work with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate competently with directors and executives throughout the company.
- Follow instructions and work well with others in a team-orientated environment.
- Must be comfortable with managing personal workflow and communicating updates in a timely manner with Marketing Director.
- Ability to "shift gears" at a moment's notice and have a professional demeanor.
- Possess exceptional oratory and public speaking skills.
- Be willing to develop an understanding of the organic movement in Oregon and the United States.
- Possess exceptional writing and marketing skills which will be used for our blog and newsletter.
- Multi-task efficiently, work as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Type accurately and with proficiency with a working knowledge of common computer programs.
- Be able to capture and analyze data effectively and efficiently.
- Engage in occasional day travel and overnight business trips.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate complex concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional negotiation and persuasion abilities, with a focus on achieving win-win outcomes.
- Be willing to get your fingers dirty from time to time coordinating the MRH volunteer team that works to improve natural areas, as well as coordinating with our Facilities Department to maintain and improve our recycling program.
- Self-motivated and deadline-driven, with the ability to work independently and manage priorities.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to gather and interpret data to drive informed business decisions.
- Must be able to work in-person at MRH’s Headquarters in Eugene, OR. This is not a remote position.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time as needed, including regionally and/or nationally.
- Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions:
- Dependable: is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback for improved performance.
- Follow all MRH procedures and protocols.
- Responsible for MRH Sustainability Program and certifications:
- Green Team
- Zero Waste Program
- Mountain Rose River Project
- Paid Time for Community Involvement
- Alternative Commute Program
- Giving Back Program
- Oregon Benefit Company Report
- B Corp Certification and other certifications as needed
- Compose blogs that highlight our environmental and community involvement or “call to action” blogs that serve to inform and inspire.
- Build sustainability into our communications, the website, and social media.
- Create and manage the company’s Impact Report which outlines environmental and social policies. This report also highlights our annual successes.
- Coordinate 6-8 restoration projects annually, working closely with Oregon SOLVE, Oregon State Parks River Trail Adoption, and other organizations.
- Inform employees of additional volunteer opportunities by posting on SharePoint and making flyers.
- Manage the sustainable use of resources for the company which includes fuel, electricity, water, etc. This will involve working closely with multiple departments.
- Attend several events throughout the year as a speaker and/or presenter which may include the U of O Sustainability Leadership Circle, the Provender Alliance conference, and many other gatherings. This will include travel and some overnight business trips.
- Act as a liaison and form a personal relationship with our nonprofit partners. This will also include coordinating sponsorships and numerous events.
- Oversee the charitable giving budget, review all donation requests, and distribute the funds.
- Routinely audit and inspect the line of products offered by Mountain Rose Herbs to make sure that they are consistent with our environmental policies.
- Willingness to learn and perform new procedures, equipment, and technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to sit for periods of time while either on the phone and/or performing data entry duties (typing, using a mouse, etc.).
- Minimal physical requirements to include associated standing, bending, stooping, to retrieve files/orders. And seldom hard physical requirements including land moving, shoveling, pulling weeds, etc. This is required for the associated projects through the Mountain Rose River Project.
- Continual physical requirements of sitting or standing for periods of time to complete tasks.
You may also want to: